Saturday, February 6, 2010

Who Would Have Thought...


that Friends could be so educational?

The first group's presentation made me understand Plato, Aristotle, Longinus and Horace so much more. The fact that they used videos of something that is incredibly human and, therefore, related to us, made the material much more real. Also, because they used only one topic, child birth, for all three philosophers, it truly helped me better comprehend the differences between the three.

While watching the clips, I found myself wondering whether I agreed more with Plato or with Aristotle. I pictured myself as the ruler of my own world where whatever I said was law and I decided what was shown to the people. I wondered whether I would show the Ross and Rachel comedic imitation of child birth like Aristotle would, or the real, raw birth like Plato would. I came to the conclusion that both are necessary. If people were blind to the reality and truth of things, people would be making many bad decisions. Sometimes we need to be shocked to understand what is really going on and what is best. However, I also believe we sometimes need imitations. Like Aristotle points out, we can learn very much through copies. We do not have access to everything, and creations like television shows can offer us an insight into things we may never see. Even though it might not represent the crude reality, it still gives us an overall understanding of things. Not only that, but it also satisfies our curiosities.

I really enjoyed the fact that the group made me think. I can not wait to find out what thoughts the next group will invoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment